Getting a divorce without children

To get a divorce, you will need to fill out a number of forms and file them with your Clerk of Court. This page will help you understand what to fill out, what you should think through and provide a Form Assistant to help you complete the forms.

Send this page to:

Understanding the Basics

See what you need to know to take action.

Filing for divorce without children involves a lot of paperwork and takes 4 to 12 months. Getting started can be confusing. This page will help you file the forms you need to get the process started. Learn more about the whole process for a divorce in Ohio.  

However, divorce isn’t the only way to end your marriage. If you feel that you and your spouse are able to agree on everything, including how to divide money and debt, think about the pros and cons of a dissolution.

If you’re in an abusive relationship, you should think through the best way to keep yourself safe while filing. Find a lawyer to help you. Learn more about divorce and domestic violence.

Who can file for divorce?

Not everyone can get a divorce in Ohio. To file:

  • You or your spouse must have lived in Ohio for at least six months, and in the county where you’re filing for at least 90 days. Learn more about deciding what county to file in.
  • If you or your spouse are pregnant, getting a divorce is more complicated. You can start the filing process, but you won't be able to finalize your divorce. As you will likely have a child by the time the divorce is finalized, see filing for divorce with children. 

Think through what you need

Before you file, you need to gather information and make some decisions. 

Filling out and filing the paperwork

Use our Divorce without Children Form Assistant to fill out the forms you will need to file. It will ask you some questions, which you can answer on any phone or computer. It can take a few hours to complete all the necessary information. You will be able to save your progress and return to complete your forms if you need to. 

Once your forms are complete, do not sign them yet. Take them to a notary and sign the forms in front of them. Make copies of the notarized forms, and take them to the Clerk of Court's office at your local domestic relations court. Ask the clerk to file the forms. The clerk may be able to help you make sure your paperwork is complete. They will not be able to help you with the information in the forms. 

If you have a low income and can’t afford the filing fee, you can use the Poverty Affidavit Form Assistant to create an additional form to file with your packet of documents. This form asks that you be allowed to file without paying a fee upfront. You may still be responsible for paying the fee at the end of the case.

Local Government and Community Resources

Find courts and helpful resources in your community.