Kinship care of your grandchild

If you’re a grandparent caring for a grandchild full-time, sometimes called kinship care, you’re not alone. Learn more about how you can make sure that you have what you need to make decisions about your grandchild's school and healthcare.

Send this page to:

Understanding the Basics

See what you need to know to take action.
See More +

In Ohio, it is common for grandparents to temporarily take care of a grandchild full-time if the child's parents can’t. It is so common that Ohio has special forms to make sure that these grandparents can make important decisions about the child’s school and healthcare.

If you can reach the parents

Fill out the Grandparent Power of Attorney form with one of the parents. You will both need to sign the form in front of a notary. File it with your local juvenile court within five days.

If you can’t reach the parents

If you have tried to find the parents and but you can’t, the Caretaker Authorization Affidavit is your next option. You will need to fill out the form and sign it in front of a notary. File it with your local juvenile court within five days.

If you want to get legal custody of your grandchild

Getting legal custody of a grandchild is complicated. To get legal custody, you have to go through the court system. If you want to get legal custody of your grandchild, think about getting a lawyer. The decisions you make about this legal process are important, and could have long-lasting effects on your family. A lawyer can help you understand your options and risks, and help you go through the court process.

Learn more about what to do if you are worried your grandchild's home isn’t safe.