Money and Debt

Tax filing scams

Tax filing scams can happen to anyone. Learn how you can avoid being the victim of a tax filing scam.

Follow these steps to make sure that you get or keep all the benefits and tax credits you are eligible for in 2022:

  • File your 2021 tax return. Even if you aren’t required to or don’t normally file your taxes. There are changes to the Child Tax Credit and Earned Income Tax Credit that you can only get if you file 2021 taxes.
  • Update your household info with ODJFS. Many people have been displaced or experienced changes in their lives during the pandemic. Update your Medicaid and SNAP cases to make sure you keep your benefits and know when deadlines are coming up. Call (844) 640-6446 or go to "Government and Community Resources" on this page to find the contact information for your local JFS office. 
  • Update your household info with your child’s school. Schools need to keep your information up to date so your child(ren) receive available free or reduced-price school meals and Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) funds. If your child is out of school because of a COVID-19 related reason, make sure to report the reason for their absence to your child’s school so that they may receive P-EBT funds for qualifying absences. Even if your child is receiving free school meals during the COVID-19 pandemic, submit a new National School Meals Program application to your school so that they do not lose access if they are still eligible after the pandemic. Learn more at
Send this page to:

Understanding the Basics

See what you need to know to take action.
See More +

A tax filing scam happens when someone illegally keeps or takes money that belongs to you or the government. Common scams include:

  • Changing your tax return after you sign it. For example, a dishonest tax return preparer adds their own direct deposit information to steal your refund. Or, a tax return preparer lies about your income to increase your refund and steal the extra money.
  • Filing a return without your permission. For example, a scammer uses your old tax return to submit a new tax return and keep the refund.

Protecting yourself from tax filing scams

To protect yourself from tax filing scams:

  • Choose a trustworthy tax return preparer. If you hire someone to prepare your tax return, choose a qualified professional. The IRS offers lists of professionals. Also, you might qualify for free professional tax filing help from the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE).
  • Review your tax return. Make sure that all of the information is correct and complete before you sign it. Never sign a blank form.
  • Keep a complete copy of the tax return that you sign. Make sure the tax return includes the return preparer’s name, signature and Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN).
  • Never direct deposit refunds into your tax return preparer’s account. If you use direct deposit, send refunds to your own account.

If you are a victim of a tax filing scam

If you are the victim of tax fraud, you should:

  • Contact the police. Submit a police report.
  • Complete IRS Form 14157 and 14157-A. These are the IRS forms to report a tax preparer for misconduct. Include required evidence listed in the instructions (for example, a copy of your police report).
  • Keep copies of all documents. Always keep copies of all documents for your records.

Free tax-filing resources

Most people with low or moderate income can do their taxes for free using FreeFile’s brand-name software or fillable forms.

To do your taxes for free:

  • Visit It’s available 24/7.
  • Choose an option. Use the online lookup tool or browse all offers to find a good match.
  • Leave the IRS site. On an IRS partner’s website, begin your return safely and securely.

Also, you may qualify for free tax help from:

  • VITA. If you have low income, disability or limited English skills, you may qualify for free tax help from the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
  • TCE. If you are at least 60 years old, you can receive free tax help from Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE).

To find the nearest VITA site near you, use the VITA locator tool or call (800) 906-9887. VITA services may vary by location. Please check with your local VITA site to find out what options are available.

Forms and Letters

Find forms and letters that you can fill out yourself.
See More +
There are no forms related to this topic.