Crime and Traffic

Applying for driver's license amnesty

If your driver's license was suspended for a period of time, and you have done what the court asked you to do but you can't afford to get your license back, you may be able to get help.

From October 17, 2019 to December 31, 2019, the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles will let you ask for lower or no fees to reinstate your driver’s license if it was suspended. You can only ask for this for a personal driver’s license—not a commercial one—and for specific driving or traffic tickets. 

Send this page to:

Understanding the Basics

See what you need to know to take action.

Day-to-day living without being able to drive can be tough. If your driver's license is suspended, it can be expensive to get it back, even after you finish the suspension period.

If your driver’s license was suspended—but not for anything involving alcohol, drugs or a deadly weapon—and you have finished your suspension period, you may be able to get help with the fees.

If you can’t afford the fees to get your license back, you can apply for reduced fees or no fees. The opportunity to reduce BMV fees will be open from October 17, 2019 to December 31, 2019.

Find out if you’re eligible

You may be eligible to get your license back with lower or no fees if these three things are true:

How to apply

If you want to try to reduce the fees you owe, you can do this online through BMV Online Services or in person at a deputy registrar license agency. 

If you want to ask to get rid of your fees completely, you have to mail in your form. You can go to the deputy registrar license agency to get the form and fill it out, and the deputy will mail your form for free. You can also fill out the form and mail it to:

Ohio BMV
Attn: ALS/Points
P.O. Box 16521
Columbus, OH 43216-6521 

Whichever you decide, you have to prove that you can’t afford the fees. Provide this proof in your application by including a current screen shot of your SNAP case status information. You can get a copy of this information from the ODJFS Benefits Self-Service Portal or from your local Jobs and Family Services office

The screen shot must include

  • Your name or the name of the person in your household who applied for benefits
  • Current status of your benefits
  • Current month
  • Next review date

How to pay the fees

If you still owe fees, you may be able to set up a payment plan. You can set up a payment plan if:

  • You owe at least $150 in reinstatement fees
  • You have done everything else the court asked you to do to get your license back
  • You can prove that you have car insurance
  • You are not already paying a court-ordered payment plan
  • Your license is not still suspended

You can learn how to enroll in a payment plan through the Ohio BMV website.  

Forms and Letters

Find forms and letters that you can fill out yourself.

Local Government and Community Resources

Find courts and helpful resources in your community.