Divorce without Children 1: Basics and Property

This is one of two steps you will take to start the process of filing for divorce, if you don't have kids. The information you enter will be used to fill in the documents you will need to save and print when you're done, so you can file them at the clerk's office of your local court.  

Learn more about the process of getting divorced without kids. 

Don't exit until you have filled out all of the information since anything you enter can't be saved until the end. Also be sure to:

  • Enter your information completely and correctly so the court can understand how to best divide your belongings and meet your needs. 
  • Set aside enough time. It will take about 30 minutes to complete this information. 
  • Use a computer, if possible, so that you can easily save your documents  or email them to yourself.

COVID-19 Update: On June 8, 2020, the Supreme Court of Ohio released updated versions of some domestic relations forms that do not need to be signed by a notary. This is a temporary change, as in-person notary services can be difficult to access with COVID-19 shut-downs, and the updated forms let you skip that step. We have updated our forms to match the new forms, and will update our site when they are no longer usable. 

Send this page to:
  • Text
  • Email
  • https://www.ohiolegalhelp.org/letters-forms/divorce-without-kids-1-basics-and-property
  • Print
We're not sure if this resource is right for you. Please answer some questions to see all available resources and information.

When to Use This Form

Learn when this form or letter might be useful to you.

This is one of two forms you'll need to fill out to file for divorce in Ohio, if you don't have children under the age of 18. After you have completely filled it out, save it to your desktop or phone. Then print it.

Do not sign this or the other forms at this time. 

You will need to take the forms to a notary—that is, a licensed professional who stamps documents with an official seal. 

After that, file them with the Clerk of Court at your local Domestic Relations Court. 

If you have a low income and can’t afford the filing fee, you can use the Poverty Affidavit Form Assistant to create an additional form to file with your packet of documents. This form asks that you be allowed to file without paying a fee upfront. You may still be responsible for paying the fee at the end of the case.

Before You Get Started

Learn what you will need to fill out this form.

Gather your paperwork. Make sure you have the right paperwork and information in front of you. For these forms, you will need to know:

  • How much money you have in your savings account, checking account and any retirement accounts 
  • The value of your car, minus any loan you have on it
  • The value of any property or land you bought during your marriage
  • The value of any property or land you bought or inherited before your marriage
  • Your current address
  • Your spouse’s current address

Set aside enough time. Filling out these forms will take about 30 minutes.

Make sure you have a secure internet connection. You can fill out these forms on your phone or a computer, but you won't be able to save them until you are finished.  

Get Started

Was this information helpful?